Sunday, September 16, 2012

BLASPHEME US

"If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?"
--George Daacon









A few days ago I posted this about the recent riots in Libya and Egypt spurred on by an inflammatory film critical of the Prophet Mohammad and resulted in the deaths of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. For anyone who doubts my conclusion that Islam is not a religion of peace, The Onion (a satirical news site) issued an inflammatory cartoon of deities of various religions engaging in graphic sex acts (it is more graphic than I care to have on my own blog, but those so inclined can view it here), and pointed out that no one was killed for said cartoon. You can even buy a t-shirt with the cartoon and proclamation on it.
 
As much as I love The Onion (and I do), rarely are they as poignant and politically current as they are with this cartoon. The point is very well put. The picture is easily more offensive that anything shown--or even implied--in the video which incited the riots, and yet, as was pointed out, NO ONE DIED. So, on the scale of "peaceful" religions, Islam doesn't seem to fair very well.
 
As a side note, some Libyans have come out in protest of the riots and offered support to the US and admiration for Ambassador Stevens. This is also significant because I have never seen moderate Muslims speak out in this way against violence by other Muslims. And how sad is it that in order to be a moderate Muslim all you have to say is it is not OK to kill someone for blasphemy?

In many ways, Islam is going through a similar stage that Christianity went through in the Dark Ages with the Crusades and the Inquisition (religious puberty?). Hopefully, as more moderate Muslims speak out against senseless violence for fictitious crimes (i.e. witchcraft, blasphemy, girls going to school), Islam will out-grow this stage more quickly than Christianity did.

Here's hoping.



BONUS MATERIAL:

Here is Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller) on "Blasphemy Day"


And YouTuber "Thunderf00t" on "Draw Mohammad Day"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard a couple of guys talking about this in the New York subway so I looked it up online and found your page. Thanks. I thought I was right and you confirmed my thoughts. Thanks for the work you've put into this. I'd love to save this and share with my friends.